What We Do
The League of Women Voters of New Jersey (LWVNJ) advocates for certain legislation after careful study and consensus of our members. The League of Women Voters of New Jersey Education Fund (LWVNJEF) serves New Jersey's voters. The League of Women Voters is strictly nonpartisan; it neither supports nor opposes candidates for office at any level of government. At the same time, the League is wholeheartedly political and works to influence policy through advocacy. The League:
- Protects New Jersey voters by analyzing problems on election days and recommending solutions to state and county officials.
- Advocates for the passage of legislation that extends and protects voting rights, offers equal education opportunities, protects New Jersey's environment, and increases government transparency.
- Coordinates debates across the state at all levels of government and provides trained moderators to ensure nonpartisan discourse and promote fairness.
- Serves New Jersey voters with a year-round toll-free voter assistance hotline, 1-800-792-VOTE (8683), to answer voting-related questions from the public, with extended hours on election days.
- Analyzes and interprets ballot questions for voters in clear nonpartisan terms to help them make informed decisions on General Election Day.
- Interviews candidates about crucial policy questions, and widely distributes this vital information to voters.
- Publishes and distributes the New Jersey Citizen's Guide to Government, a reference book that makes it easy for New Jerseyans to learn about their government and contact their elected officials.